Monday, March 3, 2014

The Sewing Machine from Hell

So my husband's favorite pair of pants has a large hole right down the side of them, and he still insists on wearing them. As a male, I guess wearing pants with holes in the seams that show your boxers or some side leg isn't a big deal, but to me it's sad. We look like we can't afford new clothes, when really, we can, and already have plenty, these are just his FAVORITE.  I, as a good little wifey, decided I would try to fix the hole today. I got out my sewing machine and set it up. And by that I mean its a sewing machine with American voltage, so I had to find a transformer in my house with an open plug that has room near it to hold a sewing machine. After that, the bobbin thread in my sewing machine was hot pink. I know the bobbin thread doesn't really show, but I wanted to change it just in case. I knew James probably wouldn't appreciate pink thread in his favorite cargo pants haha. My sewing skills are a little iffy because I haven't actually used my sewing machine in probably 5 years. I thought I used to sew enough though, that I would remember how to change the bobbin thread, because that's simple, right? WRONG. After thinking I did it right, just by eyeballing how I took the pink bobbin out, I began sewing, and the thread got so tangled and messed up. I cleaned up that mess, and decided maybe I should Google some answers. Thank God for wikihow or I would have never figured out how to make that bobbin work. It really isn't that hard, unless you're like me and have no idea what you're doing. So, I was ready this time. The bobbin was correct, and thankfully I still know how to thread the needle. I began sewing again. A little ways in the machine started making some funky noises...I stopped, looked...the tip of the needle had broken. REALLY??? JUST LET ME FIX THE PANTS YOU DARN MACHINE!!! So I was going to just hand sew the pants because really, this was getting ridiculous. But, My machine is well stocked with different color bobbin and to my dismay/joy,  a selection of new needles. I guess back when I used to sew things I left all of my materials. Go me.  So again, I Googled how to re-needle the machine. This was easy as you just unscrew the old needle and screw the new one back in. I had to take apart the whole section where the bobbin is looking for the needle tip though. No luck. I then looked on the pants, which I wish I had done first, and the tip was stuck to them. Cool. Re-thread needle, re-thread bobbin. Okay, last try and then I'm throwing the pants away. (I wasn't really going to throw them away since they're James' favorite but I might have set them on fire because I was so frustrated LOL.) Alas, It worked, and the pants are all fixed and look FABULOUS! Regardless though, next time I need to sew something, it better not be that complicated. Seriously sewing machine, what are you doing with your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment