Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Picture quote collages

James and I have a lot of pictures that we've taken since my junior year of high school when we first started dating and I wanted to have a place where we could have some of those memories but not all individually framed because that would take up a ton of space. I thought of doing this because I've been trying to think of something creative to write "I carry your heart" by e e Cummings on since that is the poem my sister read at our wedding and one of my favorite poems. I also think that poem really applies to us since we have been apart for a lot of the time in the past two years its good to think that we are in each others hearts. Anyway, on with the point, I decided to wait an do an "I carry your heart" collage when I get more of our wedding photos, so I made this one instead.
I was going to use modge podge but couldn't find it so I used adhesive spray instead which I actually liked a lot better. I basically just cut all the pictures out and started layering. I didn't crop the photos before I printed them because I wanted the ability to make some photos smaller and to be able to layer the pictures without covering up our faces. I also printed them matte instead of glossy so the adhesive would bond more easily with them.
After I got all of the pictures cut out I basically just started layering them and cutting them to the size they needed to be to fill blank space.






I was originally going to write my quote in sharpie but because of the dark spots in the black and white photos, the sharpie wouldn't show up very well. I'm sure if you have metallic sharpies or paint pens or something like that it may work. I decided to just cut letters out of a magazine because it's a collage anyway right? And once I start a project it bothers me extreme amounts to not finish it right away.



My cat is really excellent at helping and not being in the way at all.....

 Once I finished cutting out the letters I put together the words off the pictures and made sure I liked the way the colors went together before putting them on the adhesive. I couldn't find any letters that really stood out for the last word so I just drew it myself because hey, this is my project and I can do whatever I want. So there.





Last step is to cut the edges off of the pictures and there you have it!

This took my maybe 2-2 1/2 hours? Not too bad.
Good luck to anyone who wants to try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment